Deciding Between a Waist Wallet vs. Neck Wallet for International Travel
As more nations reopen their borders, travelers are once again taking to the skies in search of adventure. Because of the pandemic, many aspects of travel have changed — some countries require vaccination or testing records, and many have special entry forms. But one thing remains the same — the need to keep all of your travel documents safe and secure, whether you’re darting through the airport or hiking at Machu Picchu. Which type of compartment is best for your next trip abroad — a waist wallet or a neck wallet? Let us help you decide.
Waist Wallet vs. Neck Wallet: Pros and Cons
First and foremost, you should research the quality and construction of the wallet. Good-quality materials are important because you’ll likely wear them for the entire day, both moving and sitting, so you’ll need a wallet that’s comfortable and robust. A wallet with moisture-resistant material will protect your documents, phone, and other sensitive items from weather and sweat. Something bounce-proof will increase comfort and security. A stylish design that you enjoy wearing certainly won’t hurt, either. Both types of wallets can work in this regard, so what’s the difference?
Waist Wallet Pros
A waist belt travel wallet is essentially a pouch attached to an adjustable strap that you secure around your waist. Several styles offer additional pockets and compartments to allow space for a phone, passport, money, and more. Sports belts, with their water-resistant materials and sleek design, have become increasingly popular for travel.
Benefits of Waist Wallets
- When worn under clothing, a waist wallet can be discrete, discouraging theft.
- A belt is secure against the body, which also helps protect against pickpockets.
- Because it’s worn around your waist, a belt is comfortable for prolonged use.
- Fitletic offers several styles and sizes to fit your needs, and are large enough to carry essentials such as a passport, wallet, and phone
- Add-ons are available to increase capacity for water bottles, hand sanitizer, snacks, and more.
Things to Keep in Mind Wearing Waist Wallets Internationally
- When worn over clothing, a waist wallet may give off a signal that you’re a tourist. However, reflective striping will increase your personal safety when walking through a city at night.
- Accessing a waist wallet under your clothing can be difficult.
Neck Wallet Pros
- Can be worn like a necklace
- Larger than a waist wallet in most cases
A neck travel wallet is a pouch that hangs loosely from a strap or chain around your neck. Some styles may offer pockets for specific items such as a passport or phone. These types of wallets also have their benefits and drawbacks.
Benefits of Neck Wallets
- Can be discreetly worn under clothing.
- Easier to access than a waist wallet if worn like a necklace.
- Typically has a larger pouch than a waist wallet.
Things to Keep in Mind Wearing Neck Wallets Internationally
- The larger pouch often means it is heavier than a waist wallet, which can pull against your neck and become uncomfortable.
- Wearing it across your shoulders improves security but makes it more difficult to access, especially when worn under clothing.
- Storing more items in a neck wallet can make it bulky, causing bunching and often becoming uncomfortable.
- When worn like a necklace, a neck wallet is susceptible to theft.
Find the Perfect Fitletic Wallet for Your Trip
For your next international trip, Fitletic offers sleek and stylish waist wallet options that are sure to work with your travel wardrobe. Fitletic also offers larger daypacks for a fun, sporty style with more storage capacity when traveling.